Downhill

Sometimes, you just think that life has something against you and throws a bunch of shit in your face because it just can. Life can be shit. At times, perhaps, although I'd like to think that I have had a pretty shit-free life in my 22 years of existence, therefore all the bad things are starting to happen at the same time, simultaneously. Or, I've always had shit on me but I've been too busy trying to ignore them.

Things get pretty swell when you're as clumsy as I am. Don't believe me? I stepped on a twig and sprained my right ankle for the umpteenth time. Even my mom laughed when I told her I hurt myself because of a twig. I had to justify that it was a pretty big twig, perhaps even a branch, on the road, that I didn't see, and I made history. History for the biggest, clumsiest oaf of potato to ever live on the planet.

I paid RM23 for a pair of ankle supports because I knew that if I let myself just continue to hobble on my broken leg, I might as well go lame for the rest of my life. Now if a healthy person sprained his or her leg for the first time, it would probably take only one week for the ankle to completely heal. Considering my history of total ankle injuries since my first fall in 2006, I'd be glad to even be walking after that ordeal. Long story short, I'm still on ankle support and limping occasionally whenever it acts up, one week after the incident. I'm guessing I'm gonna continue limping until I die. Yikes. It also doesn't help that my main transport around campus is by foot. Pretty sure doctors all over the world would advise me to rest but ain't nobody got time for dat. Time's too precious to be wasted on mere resting my ankle. Pooh.

Did I mention before that I've got old knee injuries, too? Add to that a backbone injury, a wrist injury, and a shoulder injury. Mix it all together and bake at 350C for 22 years. I'm thankful that at least I'm still all in one piece.

So I went to a Chinese temple for filming, and you do know that Chinese temples are often filled with smoke from the incense and joss sticks burning everywhere. I do not have anything against them, but apparently my skin does. After being exposed to the smoke for nearly 5 hours, I went home to develop a rash all over my body which left me scratching for my life throughout the night. I didn't know what it was at first. I thought some mighty bug must have taken a bite at every single expanse of my skin to have full coverage on my body. Or maybe it was a swarm of mosquitoes. Perhaps the roasted pork that I had? But no, one call home to my mom and I found out that I was legitimately 100% her daughter, allergies and all. Mom had smoke allergy, and apparently I have them too.

So when the rashes persued for another itchy day I finally decided to go visit the doctor at night. And guess what, nobody ever told me that doctors expected none of their patients to be needing their services on Sunday nights. It was tough finding an open clinic at 7.30pm on a Sunday, but eventually I did locate one, thanks to my roommate. She mentioned that the clinic didn't charge students but I only took that as a pinch of salt... and I didn't even say anything about it when the lady at the receptionist counter didn't ask for my student ID. I ended up paying RM35 for two packs of steroids (to control my allergies and the itching) and a bottle of calamine. So, that was nearly RM60 in just two days, and all at the expense of my body too.

Personally, Saurday night was the worst. I had to endure a nearly-broken ankle throughout the whole 5 hours of filming, I got my allergies, it was raining heavily, I was sweaty and stinky and itchy... it was one of the worst days of my life.

Fast forward a couple days later and I'm out filming again for 8 hours straight, without my ankle support (because I forgot them). I'm guessing that my body kind of hated me for the day? I felt my left knee and waist give out towards the end of the filming. Probably because the camera was too heavy for my fragile body. And that I was standing too much, for like, the whole 8 hours of the filming? I couldn't sit anywhere, or I'd risk getting bitten by fire ants and bugs, and if there is anything in the world I hate the most next to sun and sweat, it's bugs, regardless of their ability to fly, their colour, their habitat or the number of legs they have. I hate creepy crawlies.

So now, with a blown out right ankle, left knee and waist, you'd think I'd finally go easy on myself and just lay paralyzed on the bed for a week, right?

Well, no. I can't afford to do that at all. Time is too precious to be wasted sleeping. Or resting. Or getting any shut eye at all. Because tonnes of work are waiting for me. They aren't gonna do themselves if I weren't there. Hmmph, sorry body. I don't blame you if you hate me for not taking good care of you. But please don't give up on me?

I can feel my eyelids betraying me. They're so heavy it's like I put anvils in them. And my right ankle's still sore. So's my left knee. And my waist. And my back. And my neck. And my right arm.

And that's just my physical shit. Everyone knows I'm an emotional shit.

God bless me.

Comments