Olympics 2012 Badminton Men's Singles Finals Review
The most anticipated event ever -- Olympics 2012 Badminton Men's Singles FINALS -- has come and gone, just like that.
The roughly 2-hour event ended... with Malaysia coming in close second to... *drum rolls* ...China.
Surprised? I bet not. China's Lin Dan has had a long history of beating Malaysia' Datuk Lee Chong Wei in badminton for some time, and this time was not exceptional. Datuk Lee lost to Lin Dan... again...
You know it's business when someone like me who normally doesn't care about sports (or even own a working TV) has something to say about it.
I watched the event on YouTube just like anyone who doesn't have a TV at home (not sure if anyone, though). And I must say that the whole event was very intense. Datuk Lee Chong Wei (can I just call him Chong Wei?) won in the first round 21-15, but then lost to Lin Dan in the next 2 consecutive matches, 10-21 and a neck-to-neck 19-21 for the last round.
I remember looking at the counter for the last round, everytime Chong Wei gained 1 point, Lin Dan gained 1 point. Lin Dan earned 2 points, Chong Wei got another 2 points. The final point (Gold Medal Point) when 19-20, Lin Dan only won because Chong Wei's hit sent the shuttlecock out of the court.
Guess what happened. Lin Dan took off his shirt again (like in 2008) and ran about like a madman before finally collapsing onto the stadium floor. Meanwhile, poor Datuk Lee was also on the floor but not as dizzy with victory as Lin Dan. Poor guy actually cried. There went his dreams of beating China in the finals and bagging the gold.
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who felt so bad for him. So near yet so far!! He must have been so disappointed. =(
There were so many Facebook statuses immediately after the match ended. I admit I was one of them who did that. But then the comments started to sound nasty. Apparently, people wanted Chong Wei to win just so that they could have free BR ice creams and a holiday. WHATT!!
Honestly, I did not know about the ice cream until my dad told me and my sister. And there my sister went chanting 'ice cream ice cream' all the while cheering for Malaysia.
I don't blame her for wanting the ice cream. I don't blame anyone for wanting the ice cream. However I DO mind if you blame Chong Wei (maybe I'll just say DLCW) for not winning JUST because you couldn't get the holiday and free ice cream.
Hello? Get your facts straight. DLCW had a serious ankle injury just a month or two back and I doubt that he's even fully recovered. I know I injured my knee before and it took more than just a few months to heal. It even still hurts me from time to time. But DLCW managed to get to the finals, beating Korea and China and bagging the silver medal!! Therefore unless you can beat that, you do NOT have the authority to blame him over some ice cream. If you want BR ice cream so badly, go buy some yourself!! Otherwise just be happy for DLCW for getting Malaysia's first silver medal from the Olympics. Be proud of him!! =)
He actually apologised on Twitter! And there are still people hitting on him? Tsk tsk shame on you guys!!
Another thing. I know I am biased against Lin Dan. Who doesn't want your own country to win? And did you know I just found out that both the China and M'sian shuttlers are only 1 year apart? Honestly, I never knew. People kept giving me the impression that DLCW was so much older than Lin Dan that he'd have to retire by the time Lin Dan reaches his peak. Now I know DLCW is only a year older than Lin Dan. Sheesh.
Cheers for Malaysia's victory!! Proud to be Malaysian!! =)
Disclaimer: I do not own any of the pictures. I found the bunch of them on Facebook. =)






Datuk Lee Chong Wei is nice player but that was lin dans day.
ReplyDelete